रविन्द्रनाथांच्या काही कविता ......

)

When I look for silence,
I find silence
Inside my soul.

When I look for my soul,
I find my soul
Inside my silence।


)
~
At dawn shey(1) departed
My mind tried to console me -
" Everything is Maya(2)".
Angrily I replied:
"Here's this sewing box on the table,
that flower-pot on the terrace,
this monogrammed hand-fan on the bed---
all these are real."

My mind said: "Yet, think again."
I rejoined: " You better stop.
Look at this storybook,
the hairpin halfway amongst its leaves,
signaling the rest is unread;
if all these things are "Maya",
then why should "shey" be more unreal?"


My mind becomes silent.
A friend arrived and says:
"That which is good is real
it is never non-existent;
entire world preserves and cherishes it its chest
like a precious jewel in a necklace."


I replied in anger: "How do you know?
Is a body not good? Where did that body go?"


Like a small boy in a rage hitting his mother,
I began to strike at everything in this world
that gave me shelter.
And I screamed:" The world is treacherous."


Suddenly, I was startled.
It seemed like someone admonished me :" You- ungrateful ! "


I looked at the crescent moon
hidden behind the tamarisk tree outside my window.
As if the dear departed one is smiling
and playing hide-and-seek with me.


From the depth of darkness punctuated by scattered stars
came a rebuke: "when I let you grasp me you call it an deception,
and yet when I remain concealed,
why do you hold on to your faith in me with such conviction?"


(1): "Shey" in Bengali can mean either he or she.
(2): "Maya" meaning Unreal.



३)

The night was dark when she went away, and they slept.

The night is dark now, and I call for her,
"Come back, my darling; the world is asleep,
and no one would know if you came for a moment
while stars are gazing at stars."

She went away when the trees were in bud
and the spring was young.

Now the flowers are in high bloom and I call,
"Come back, my darling. The children gather
and scatter flowers in reckless sport.
And if you come and take the little blossom
no one will miss it."

Those that used to play are playing still,
so spendthrift is life.

I listen to their chatter and call,
"Come back, my darling, for mother's heart
is full to the brim with love,

and if you come to snatch only one little
kiss from her no one will grudge it."


४)
It is time for me to go, mother; I am going.

When in the paling darkness of the lonely dawn
you stretch your arms for your baby in the bed,
I shall say, "Baby is not there!"
- mother, I am going.

I shall become a delicate draught of air
and caress you; and I shall be ripples
in the water when you bathe;
and kiss you and kiss you again.

In the gusty night when the rain patters on the leaves
you will hear my whisper in your bed,
and my laughter will flash with the lightning
through the open window into your room.

If you lie awake, thinking of your baby till late into the night,
I shall sing to you form the stars, "Sleep, mother, sleep."

On the straying moonbeams I shall steal over your bed,
and lie upon your bosom while you sleep.

I shall become a dream, and through the little opening
of your eyelids I shall slip into the depths of your sleep;
and when you wake up and look round startled,
like a twinkling firefly I shall flit out into the darkness.

When, on the great festival of PUJA,
the neighbours' children come and play about the house,
I shall melt into the music of the flute
and throb in your heart all day.

Dear suntie will come with your PUJA presents and will ask,
"Where is our baby, sister? Mother you tell her softly,
"He is in the pupils of my eyes,
he is my body and my soul."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

मित्रहो

आपुलकी

लग्न!!